Friday 7 March 2014

Banished

Banished is an indie city-building strategy game, released earlier this month. It’s currently available on Steam or direct download from the developer’s website. Links are as follows: Shining Rock Software and Steam.
I’ve been playing it quite a lot over the last few days, and I’m really enjoying it. City-builders have always been of interest to me, but the difference between this and other city builders I’ve played, is that this is the first of its kind that I’ve played where you start off in an older era. 

The game itself is very small and very simple. This doesn’t, however, make the game any less interesting or fun, as it still has plenty of features to keep you interested throughout. Sure, there aren’t as many features and options as there may be in say, SimCity, but it also means there’s not a lot you have to worry about in terms of forgetting to build something or running out of a resource.
So it’s the same concept as any other city-builder, you start off with a number of villagers (amount dependant on the difficulty you choose), get them gathering resources and building what needs to be built. Simple as. With food resources, you do need to bear in mind that there are seasons throughout the game, meaning as in real life, you can’t do farming during the winter. You need to either make sure you have enough in your stock to keep you going, or you need to find an alternative, of which there are a few. This was a nice change for me, as I’m used to games such as SimCity and CitiesXL, giving me the option of worrying about what resources I need next and where to get them, rather than whether or not I have enough police stations and shops for my town. Another function I liked was the ability to either control villagers separately, choosing what jobs they have, or you can use the taskbar to assign how many people you want on a job, rather than who.

The overall look of the game is incredible. I mean, for a game of this size, I was expecting it to look a lot like an older version of SimCity, but was very pleasantly surprised by how beautiful it looked, even set on a lower graphic setting. There’s flowing rivers, falling snow and smoke funneling out of the chimneys! In words, I really can’t do the game the justice it deserves, so let me show you:

(A close up with snow effects shown)

(Zoomed out in Summer with some in-game windows shown)

Incredible, right?

The soundscape of the game is very simplistic, yet pleasant. Nice background music and simple, yet effective, sounds. I’m glad it’s not overdone and a racket to the ears, as it would be very off-putting, otherwise to the gameplay.

Yet again, another game I’m very happy and pleased with. I know there are bugs which are currently being worked on, though fortunately I haven’t seen any myself, else I would have commented on them. The only things that bugged me are things I just find very silly and don’t make any sense, such as the fact you can have a child born in Spring year 2, and by Winter year 2 they’re already age 5. But the upside to this is that the quicker the age, the faster you have more adults you can work with, otherwise you’d be waiting a very long time in gameplay for adults to come along. As a result, even the things I did find strange really didn’t affect the gameplay negatively, so I’m still enjoying my game thoroughly.

I hope you enjoyed my latest review! I'm still working on Elder Scrolls Online and Thief so please keep posted!
Thanks for reading, until next time.
-KirreeH

No comments:

Post a Comment